AL MUKALLA, Yemen — Houthi rebel fighters fired rockets toward the southern city of Aden on Sunday, killing at least 43 people in a residential neighborhood, health and military officials said.
The attack came two days after the exiled Yemeni government, which is supported by Saudi Arabia and opposes the Houthis, declared that Aden had been “liberated” after the Houthis and their allies were driven from several districts.
Maj. Gen. Ahmed Saif Mohsen al-Yafae, an anti-Houthi military commander in Aden, said there were still small numbers of rebel fighters in the city, as well as a larger force about six miles outside the city limits in an area that had been the source of the rocket fire.
More than 1,600 civilians have been killed since the war in Yemen began in March, according to the United Nations, including by airstrikes carried out by a Saudi-led military coalition and shelling during clashes between the Houthis and their opponents.
Earlier on Sunday, a coalition airstrike killed at least 24 people in Yemen’s Ibb district, including a dozen members of one extended family, said Basheer al-Masqari, a resident of the neighborhood that was bombed. The airstrikes also hit a weapons depot at a nearby military base, setting off secondary explosions that wounded several people, Mr. Masqari said.
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.
(via NY Times)