The first lawsuits by families of victims of last year’s crane crash in Makkah have been filed at a Saudi Arabian court, local media said on Tuesday.
Five legal cases have been filed at the Summary Court in Jeddah, according to Saudi Gazette.
The cases reportedly claim compensation after 110 people died and more than 200 others were injured when a crane involved in the redevelopment of the Grand Mosque in Makkah collapsed in September 2015.
The newspaper said sources explained that the demands for personal rights would be settled after a judge has examined the public rights side of the case.
Fourteen people – including employees of beleaguered construction firm Saudi Binladin Group that was working on the mosque redevelopment project – went on trial in August following months of investigations.
The court is expected to reconvene next week, and the judge has reportedly asked the attorney general to prepare a list of charges against each defendant showing the accusations against him, along with evidence.
A five-person committee has drawn up a definitive list of the people killed or injured in the crash, to prevent any false claims by people for compensation, the newspaper said.
Only the people whose names are on the list – or their families – have been permitted to file lawsuits asking for ‘diyah’ (blood money).