The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced on May 13 that Green Chile Food Company is voluntarily recalling several of its frozen meat and poultry burrito products due to possible listeria contamination.
The product recall comes after a Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) inspector did a routine testing on a Beef and Potato Burrito and found evidence of Listeria monocytogenes in the items. More than 252,000 pounds of frozen burritos were made from the contaminated batch so USDA has classified this case as a Class I recall for the serious and adverse health risk it poses.
List Of Recalled Burritos
The affected Green Chile frozen products were manufactured and packaged on different dates from March 8 to May 10, 2017 and have the establishment number “EST. 21740” printed inside the USDA mark of inspection.
According to the company, the affected products were shipped to retail outlets, institutions, and distribution centers located in Illinois, California, Oregon, and South Dakota.
Here is the list of affected pre-packaged ready to eat frozen products:
7-Oz. Paper wrap packages
- Chipotle Chicken Burrito with Salsa & Monterey Jack (case code 833425001426)
- Carnitas Burrito with Salsa, Monterey Jack & Cilantro Lime Rice (case code 833425001488)
- Egg & Sausage Breakfast Burrito with Hashbrowns, Salsa, & Cheddar (case code 833425000382)
- Egg & Bacon Breakfast Burrito with Hashbrowns, Salsa, Green Chile & Cheddar (case code 833425000368)
- Beef Burrito with Potato, Green Chile, Salsa & Cheddar (case code 833425000320)
- Chicken Fajita Burrito with Salsa & Cheddar (case code 833425000429)
- Shredded Steak Burrito with Salsa, Monterey Jack, Green Chile, Onion, Rice & Jalapeño Peppers (case code 10833425008941)
- Beef & Bean Burrito with Green Chile, Salsa & Cheddar (case code 833425000344)
- Fiesta Breakfast Burrito with Beef, Egg, Hashbrowns, Green Chile, Cheddar & Sausage (case code 833425000405)
8-Oz. Paper wrap packages
- Egg & Bacon Burrito with Cheddar Cheese, Potato, Green Chile, Salsa & Jalapeños (case code 833425000900)
- Poblano Chicken Burrito with Monterrey Jack Cheese, Salsa, Rice, Onion, Green Chile and Green & Red Bell Peppers (case code 833425000931)
- Beef & Potato Burrito with Cheddar Cheese, Green Chile & Salsa (case code 833425000887)
Visit [pdf] the USDA website to view the product labels.
What To Do If You Have A Contaminated Burrito
The USDA strongly advises that contaminated burritos should not be consumed because listeria is a serious infection that can affect people with weaker immune systems and can even lead to death. As of writing, however, there have been no confirmed reports of illnesses caused by the recalled Green Chile products.
Consumers who purchased a contaminated product should throw it away or return the item to its place of purchase.
The company also set up a website to address the massive product recall at burritorecall.com.
© 2017 Tech Times, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.