Just in:
CodeRabbit secures $143 million for AI governance push // Rupee weakens as oil and geopolitical risks mount // Saudi Arabia raises US Treasury holdings to $142.5bn // Asia Responsible Enterprise Awards and Asia Pacific Enterprise Awards 2026 China Chapter Celebrate Resilient Enterprises Forging Legacies of Excellence and Impact // India pushes coal gasification to reduce import risks // US emergency oil reserve sinks to 1982 low // Dubai tourism recovery gathers pace with flight returns // UK fraud filings reach first-half record // JSCCIB Joins Forces with Public Sector and World Bank to Launch “The Bangkok Business Summit 2026: Reinvent Thailand, Resilient ASEAN” // NASA ground software flaw exposes spacecraft commands // Alpro Group and AstraZeneca Collaborate to Advance Early Detection Across the Cardio-Kidney-Metabolic Spectrum and Raise Awareness of Hyperkalemia // Digital Entertainment Leadership Forum 2026 AI Reimagining Entertainment with Infinite Wonders // Employed but stuck: Malaysia’s resilient labour market masks a career mobility gap // 10Life Test: Airline Add-On Travel Insurance Priced by Airfare — Same Coverage, Premiums Differ by up to 34% // Aramco offers Asian refiners crude via Fujairah // Warsh Fed will do nothing to derail rally in US bank shares // UAE freezes trade and financial dealings with Iran // allnex Announces the Next SCA Capacity Investment In APAC // Abu Dhabi book fair moves to September // Hormuz shipping remains severely curtailed amid tensions //

Italian police search homes connected to Berlin attack suspect

ROME Italian police have searched three houses in and around Rome, where the man suspected of killing 12 people last week at a Christmas market in Berlin may have spent time, a judicial source said on Thursday.

Anis Amri, a Tunisian, first arrived in Europe by boat to the Italian island of Lampedusa in 2011, and was shot dead by police in Milan four days after the Dec. 19 attack in Berlin.

The searches focused in the capital and nearby Acilia, where he was thought to have stayed after leaving a detention centre in Sicily in 2015, the source said. Police are investigating whether he was seeking to stay in Italy or trying to reach another country.

On Thursday, during an end-year news conference, Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni said Amri was probably radicalised after arriving in Europe in 2011, but added that the government had no evidence Amri had “particular networks” in Italy.

“Five years ago he was not a jihadist … In desperation, in isolation, in alienation, he found the conviction to follow the path of radicalisation,” Italy’s anti-terrorism chief Franco Roberti was also quoted as saying in an interview with la Repubblica newspaper on Thursday.

Roberti said lone-wolf attackers like Amri needed the help of small-scale criminal networks, such as those in Italy and Spain, for logistical support including acquiring false documents.

“From this point of view, Italy and Spain are the cradles,” Roberti said.

Amri’s undetected passage to Italy, via France, from Germany after the attack, has prompted eurosceptic parties to call for the reintroduction of border controls that were removed by the continent’s open-border Schengen pact.

Italy tried to deport him to Tunisia after he completed a four-year jail term for attempting to set fire to a building, but Tunisian authorities refused to take him, so he was released from the centre.

(Writing by Isla Binnie; Editing by Alison Williams)

-Reuters



Notice an issue?

Arabian Post strives to deliver the most accurate and reliable information to its readers. If you believe you have identified an error or inconsistency in this article, please don't hesitate to contact our editorial team at editor[at]thearabianpost[dot]com. We are committed to promptly addressing any concerns and ensuring the highest level of journalistic integrity.


Loading next story…
Just in: