Just in:
Proton Enhances Drive and Docs Services Amid Linux User Anticipation // Checkout.com and Tabby Collaborate to Enhance BNPL Services in UAE and Saudi Arabia // Shenglong Electric showcases two AI-powered products in OFC 2025 to redefine smart electricity use // Dubai Advances Autonomous Taxi Services with Global Tech Partnerships // HKPC Achieves Remarkable Accomplishments at Hannover Messe 2025 // Damac’s Edgnex Data Centers Acquires Finland’s Hyperco to Expand Nordic Presence // e& PPF Telecom Group Completes €825 Million Acquisition of Serbia Broadband // Galaxy Macau™ Presents: ANDREA BOCELLI Live in Concert – A Soul-Stirring Spectacle // US Tariffs Threaten India’s Gems and Jewellery Exports // PolyU establishes Otto Poon Research Institute for Climate-Resilient Infrastructure with support from Otto Poon Charitable Foundation // Ripple’s RLUSD Stablecoin Enhances Cross-Border Payments and Gains Kraken Listing // Google Addresses Pixel Weather Widget’s Outdated Forecasts // Galaxy Macau Presents Luxurious Celebration of Renewal at Banyan Tree Macau with Michelin-starred Chef and Bartender from Asia’s 50 Best Bars // Majority of CIOs Overspend on Cloud Budgets, Survey Reveals // Trump’s Sweeping Tariffs Set to Reshape Global Trade Dynamics // Kraken Bolsters Canadian Presence with Regulatory Approval and Leadership Appointment // Absa Group to Establish Dubai Office Amid Strengthening Africa-Gulf Investment Ties // Trump’s 26% Tariff Escalates US-India Trade Tensions // CPI General Secretary D Raja Underlines Principled Unity Of All Communists To Fight RSS-BJP // Carbon Clean’s CycloneCC Completes Landmark Industrial Deployment //

Avoiding China's wrath, Philippines puts off upgrades to South China Sea isles

By Manuel Mogato
| MANILA

ADVERTISEMENT

MANILA The Philippines is deferring plans to repair and upgrade features it occupies in the disputed South China Sea, the country’s military chiefs said on Thursday, to avoid provoking China while the two traditional foes seek to bury the hatchet.

The Philippines would continue to observe a moratorium on construction in the Spratly islands that it adopted while an international tribunal handled an arbitration case it lodged against Beijing in 2013.

Even though a ruling handed down in July last year went in favour of the Philippines, its military top brass felt the timing was not right to start upgrades.

The decision to defer upgrades was to avoid “any aggressive action in the West Philippine Sea,” Military chief General Eduardo Ano told a news conference at an army base, using the name by which the Philippines refers to the South China Sea.

He said the move aimed to preserve a new era of friendlier relations with China under President Rodrigo Duterte, who decided to engage Beijing, rather than confront it in the wake of a arbitral award it bitterly opposed.

Duterte says he is in no hurry to discuss that ruling and will do so only when China is ready.

The Philippines has been occupying nine features in the Spratlys, including a submerged reef on which a rusting transport ship ran aground in the late 1990s.

The Philippines has by far the weakest defence structures in the disputed area and most facilities are dilapidated. Taiwan, Malaysia, Vietnam and China also occupy areas of the contested archipelago.

China has reclaimed seven reefs, building man-made islands with anti-aircraft and anti-missile batteries. Satellite imagery shows development has continued lately, despite the arbitral ruling declaring that illegal.

Vietnam, which occupies the largest number of features in the South China Sea, has also enhanced its facilities.

“I don’t know if we can now lift the moratorium,” Defence Minister Delfin Lorenzana told reporters. “We’re on status quo for now.”

Lorenzana said the government had allocated 800 million pesos ($16.15 million) to upgrade an eroded runway on an airfield on Thitu Island, but that work would not happen soon.

Rex Tillerson, U.S. President-elect Donald Trump’s nominee for secretary of state, told U.S. legislators he wanted to send China a clear signal to stop building islands and leave those it has already made.

($1=49.5300 Philippine pesos)

(Editing by Martin Petty and Clarence Fernandez)

-Reuters


Notice an issue?

Arabian Post strives to deliver the most accurate and reliable information to its readers. If you believe you have identified an error or inconsistency in this article, please don't hesitate to contact our editorial team at editor[at]thearabianpost[dot]com. We are committed to promptly addressing any concerns and ensuring the highest level of journalistic integrity.


ADVERTISEMENT
Just in:
Dubai Advances Autonomous Taxi Services with Global Tech Partnerships // Carbon Clean’s CycloneCC Completes Landmark Industrial Deployment // Trump’s Tariffs Deal Severe Blow to Developing Nations // Proton Enhances Drive and Docs Services Amid Linux User Anticipation // PolyU establishes Otto Poon Research Institute for Climate-Resilient Infrastructure with support from Otto Poon Charitable Foundation // Brazilian President Seeking Support From China And Russia To Meet Trump’s Threat // Majority of CIOs Overspend on Cloud Budgets, Survey Reveals // Eric Trump Ventures into Bitcoin Mining Following Bank Account Closures // EU Antitrust Decision on ADNOC’s Covestro Acquisition Expected by May 12 // Trump’s 26% Tariff Escalates US-India Trade Tensions // Checkout.com and Tabby Collaborate to Enhance BNPL Services in UAE and Saudi Arabia // Galaxy Macau™ Presents: ANDREA BOCELLI Live in Concert – A Soul-Stirring Spectacle // Absa Group to Establish Dubai Office Amid Strengthening Africa-Gulf Investment Ties // e& PPF Telecom Group Completes €825 Million Acquisition of Serbia Broadband // Enviro-Hub Signs LOI to Divest Waste Recycling and Property Units in Strategic Pivot // Market cycles: leveraging seasonal trends with Octa Broker // Ripple’s RLUSD Stablecoin Enhances Cross-Border Payments and Gains Kraken Listing // Damac’s Edgnex Data Centers Acquires Finland’s Hyperco to Expand Nordic Presence // Trump’s Sweeping Tariffs Set to Reshape Global Trade Dynamics // Galaxy Macau Presents Luxurious Celebration of Renewal at Banyan Tree Macau with Michelin-starred Chef and Bartender from Asia’s 50 Best Bars //