Egypt court backs government in Red Sea islands dispute

By Mohamed Abdellah
| CAIRO

CAIRO An Egyptian appeals court on Saturday upheld an agreement to give control of two islands in the Red Sea to Saudi Arabia, providing a boost for the government in a case that has prompted rare street protests.

The territorial deal, announced in April, caused public uproar among many Egyptians who said the uninhabited islands of Tiran and Sanafir belonged to their country.

The case has become a source of tension with Saudi Arabia, which has provided billions of dollars of aid to Egypt but recently halted fuel shipments amid deteriorating relations.

Last week, the Egyptian government approved the deal to hand over the islands and sent it to parliament for ratification, despite the legal dispute over the plan.

On Saturday, the appeals court in Cairo upheld a verdict by a lower court that annulled a ruling by the administrative court, which had said the agreement to hand over the islands was void, judicial sources said.

The administrative court had said the agreement violated Egypt’s constitution, which prohibits giving away any part of Egyptian territory to another country.

A more senior tribunal, the higher administrative court, is due to issue a verdict on Jan. 16.

Tiran and Sanafir are in the narrow entrance to the Gulf of Aqaba leading to Jordan and Israel.

Saudi and Egyptian officials say the islands belong to Saudi Arabia and were only under Egyptian control because Riyadh asked Cairo in 1950 to protect them.

Many Egyptians reject the government argument, accusing it of selling part of their homeland.

Lawyers who oppose the handover say Cairo’s sovereignty over the islands dates to a 1906 treaty, before Saudi Arabia was founded.

(Writing by Giles Elgood; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

-Reuters



Notice an issue?

Arabian Post strives to deliver the most accurate and reliable information to its readers. If you believe you have identified an error or inconsistency in this article, please don't hesitate to contact our editorial team at editor[at]thearabianpost[dot]com. We are committed to promptly addressing any concerns and ensuring the highest level of journalistic integrity.


Loading next story…
Just in:
Abu Dhabi book fair moves to September // Oil prices climb as Iran tensions deepen // UAE freezes trade and financial dealings with Iran // Google AI agents expose over 100 critical code flaws // tridorian launches Gemini Enterprise Experience Center in Singapore to help enterprises turn AI ambition into business outcomes // Medusa ransomware breaches more than 500 organisations // Saudi Arabia raises US Treasury holdings to $142.5bn // 10Life Test: Airline Add-On Travel Insurance Priced by Airfare — Same Coverage, Premiums Differ by up to 34% // Asia Responsible Enterprise Awards and Asia Pacific Enterprise Awards 2026 China Chapter Celebrate Resilient Enterprises Forging Legacies of Excellence and Impact // Google AI agents expose over 100 critical code flaws // Former Meta insider recounts daughter’s Instagram ordeal // Dubai tourism recovery gathers pace with flight returns // Bitcoin leaps past $68,000 as shorts unwind // CodeRabbit secures $143 million for AI governance push // At Just 27, Hamdan Bin Turki Al Mehairi Is Building One of the Most Ambitious Business Groups // ADNOC expands spot crude sales amid Hormuz risks // Alpro Group and AstraZeneca Collaborate to Advance Early Detection Across the Cardio-Kidney-Metabolic Spectrum and Raise Awareness of Hyperkalemia // Digital Entertainment Leadership Forum 2026 AI Reimagining Entertainment with Infinite Wonders // GitHub Actions reliability falls below enterprise benchmark // Google AI agents expose over 100 critical code flaws //