Audience engagement is more than just a buzzword — it’s an essential part of journalism. By focusing on three topic areas — transparency, listening and outreach — you can build trust and engagement with audiences in today’s political landscape.
Here’s a checklist to help you get started with meaningful audience engagement from Jennifer Brandel, founder and CEO of Hearken,
- How are you creating opportunities for participation?
- How and how often are you letting people know they can participate?
- What rewards are you offering for participating? Would you act on those rewards?
- How are you thanking and acknowledging people’s participation?
- How does their participation actually influence the work you do?
- Where can they see their participation mattering / influencing the work you do?
Looking for more ideas? Come to Room for Trust: Creating Space for Real Engagement, a one-day Poynter workshop in San Francisco on April 21, 2017.
Have you missed a Coffee Break Course? Here’s our complete lineup. Or follow along on Twitter at #coffeebreakcourse.