Just in:
Dubai Advances Autonomous Taxi Services with Global Tech Partnerships // BlackRock Secures FCA Approval to Operate as Crypto Asset Firm in UK // American Bitcoin to Navigate Public Offering Amid Growing Market Interest // Absa Group to Establish Dubai Office Amid Strengthening Africa-Gulf Investment Ties // Decisive factors: Octa carried out a global survey about brokers’ red flags // Majority of CIOs Overspend on Cloud Budgets, Survey Reveals // PolyU establishes Otto Poon Research Institute for Climate-Resilient Infrastructure with support from Otto Poon Charitable Foundation // Aspire Secures Capital Markets Services Licence from Monetary Authority of Singapore // Checkout.com and Tabby Collaborate to Enhance BNPL Services in UAE and Saudi Arabia // Ripple’s RLUSD Stablecoin Enhances Cross-Border Payments and Gains Kraken Listing // Trump’s Sweeping Tariffs Set to Reshape Global Trade Dynamics // Galaxy Macau Presents Luxurious Celebration of Renewal at Banyan Tree Macau with Michelin-starred Chef and Bartender from Asia’s 50 Best Bars // Andertoons by Mark Anderson for Tue, 01 Apr 2025 // Samsung Showcases Immersive 3D Experiences, OLED Excellence with New Odyssey Monitor Line-up in Singapore // US Tariffs Threaten India’s Gems and Jewellery Exports // ICONSIAM’s ‘THAICONIC SONGKRAN CELEBRATION 2025’ to Captivate Visitors with Thailand’s Most Spectacular Water Festival // Galaxy Macau™ Presents: ANDREA BOCELLI Live in Concert – A Soul-Stirring Spectacle // Eric Trump Ventures into Bitcoin Mining Following Bank Account Closures // Bayo Ojulari Appointed as NNPC’s New Group CEO // CPI General Secretary D Raja Underlines Principled Unity Of All Communists To Fight RSS-BJP //

People missing from avalanche-hit hotel in Italy rise to 24

ADVERTISEMENT

PENNE, Italy Twenty-four people are missing from the wreckage of a hotel in central Italy that was flattened by a deadly avalanche, with difficult research and rescue operations still ongoing, authorities said on Sunday.

A statement from the national fire service said the number of people missing rose by one after a rescued person said that a hotel employee, of Senegalese origin, was inside the building at the moment of the avalanche.

So far five people have been confirmed dead, and nine, including four children, were pulled alive from tons of rubble and snow on Saturday.

“Operations continue, both inside and outside the hotel, there is no change in the numbers (of saved and dead people),” spokesman Luca Cari said in the statement.

The luxury Hotel Rigopiano, located at the foot of a mountain chain in the central Italian region of Abruzzo, was obliterated on Wednesday after an avalanche caused by an earthquake smashed into its spa and demolished the four-storey building.

“The situation unfortunately is the same as the last few days, we keep working nonstop, under extremely difficult weather conditions… but we will carry on working as quickly as we possibly can,” said Major Marco Amoriello.

He added that weather conditions were not helping operations and that the forecast for the next few days did not look good.

“But we certainly won’t be stopping because of that,” Amoriello said.

Some rescue workers said they did not rule out finding more survivors, more than three days after the disaster.

Around 120,000 tonnes of frozen snow covered much of what was left of the hotel, a colonel from a fire brigade team working on-site told television Sky TG24.

Nine of the eleven survivors are still hospitalised in the nearby city of Pescara, with some of them leaving hospital as soon as Monday.

“Thank you for being close, and for the real help you are bringing,” said Pope Francis on Sunday at his weekly Angelus audience, referring to those involved in rescue and relief operations and asking to pray for them and the families of the victims.

Prosecutors in the central Italian city of Pescara have opened a probe over alleged unintentional multiple manslaughter and negligence causing a large-scale disaster.

(Reporting by Antonio Denti in Penne and Giulia Segreti in Milan; Editing by Clelia Oziel)

-Reuters


Notice an issue?

Arabian Post strives to deliver the most accurate and reliable information to its readers. If you believe you have identified an error or inconsistency in this article, please don't hesitate to contact our editorial team at editor[at]thearabianpost[dot]com. We are committed to promptly addressing any concerns and ensuring the highest level of journalistic integrity.


ADVERTISEMENT
Just in:
Shenglong Electric showcases two AI-powered products in OFC 2025 to redefine smart electricity use // Parkin Declares AED 280.9 Million Dividend Amid Upcoming Parking Tariff Adjustments // Damac’s Edgnex Data Centers Acquires Finland’s Hyperco to Expand Nordic Presence // Google Addresses Pixel Weather Widget’s Outdated Forecasts // Andertoons by Mark Anderson for Tue, 01 Apr 2025 // Tasks.org: The Open-Source Solution to Proprietary Reminder Apps // Eric Trump Ventures into Bitcoin Mining Following Bank Account Closures // Galaxy Macau Presents Luxurious Celebration of Renewal at Banyan Tree Macau with Michelin-starred Chef and Bartender from Asia’s 50 Best Bars // ChatGPT Reaches 1 Million Users in an Hour Amid New AI Image Feature // The Henderson Art Garden Is Now Open to Public // BlackRock Secures FCA Approval to Operate as Crypto Asset Firm in UK // Samsung Showcases Immersive 3D Experiences, OLED Excellence with New Odyssey Monitor Line-up in Singapore // Absa Group to Establish Dubai Office Amid Strengthening Africa-Gulf Investment Ties // Checkout.com and Tabby Collaborate to Enhance BNPL Services in UAE and Saudi Arabia // Trump’s Sweeping Tariffs Set to Reshape Global Trade Dynamics // Proton Enhances Drive and Docs Services Amid Linux User Anticipation // PolyU establishes Otto Poon Research Institute for Climate-Resilient Infrastructure with support from Otto Poon Charitable Foundation // Majority of CIOs Overspend on Cloud Budgets, Survey Reveals // US Tariffs Threaten India’s Gems and Jewellery Exports // Bayo Ojulari Appointed as NNPC’s New Group CEO //