Just in:
CoinList Reopens U.S. Token Sales Amid Eased Regulatory Climate // Trump’s Sweeping Tariffs Set to Reshape Global Trade Dynamics // OH!SOME Opens its First Store in Vietnam : A One-stop Destination for Global Selected Products // CPI General Secretary D Raja Underlines Principled Unity Of All Communists To Fight RSS-BJP // Trump’s 26% Tariff Escalates US-India Trade Tensions // Aspire Secures Capital Markets Services Licence from Monetary Authority of Singapore // Dubai Advances Autonomous Taxi Deployment with Strategic Partnerships // Kraken Bolsters Canadian Presence with Regulatory Approval and Leadership Appointment // Eric Trump Ventures into Bitcoin Mining Following Bank Account Closures // Brazilian President Seeking Support From China And Russia To Meet Trump’s Threat // Majority of CIOs Overspend on Cloud Budgets, Survey Reveals // HKPC Achieves Remarkable Accomplishments at Hannover Messe 2025 // Galaxy Macau™ Presents: ANDREA BOCELLI Live in Concert – A Soul-Stirring Spectacle // Checkout.com and Tabby Collaborate to Enhance BNPL Services in UAE and Saudi Arabia // Enviro-Hub Signs LOI to Divest Waste Recycling and Property Units in Strategic Pivot // EU Antitrust Decision on ADNOC’s Covestro Acquisition Expected by May 12 // e& PPF Telecom Group Completes €825 Million Acquisition of Serbia Broadband // Dubai Advances Autonomous Taxi Services with Global Tech Partnerships // Shenglong Electric showcases two AI-powered products in OFC 2025 to redefine smart electricity use // Events for remote multinational IT teams: trends, challenges and solutions //

U.N. Seeks Inquiry Into Deadly Assault on Migrant Boat Near Yemen

21Somalia facebookJumbo

Photo

The bodies of migrants killed in an aerial attack on a boat off Yemen were brought to the port city of Al Hudaydah.

Credit
Abdel-Karim Muhammed/Associated Press

The United Nations on Monday called for an inquiry into an aerial assault on a boat of migrants last week off Yemen’s Red Sea coast that left at least 42 people dead.

The attack on the boat, believed to be carrying 145 people leaving Yemen, was among the most horrific episodes of deadly violence on asylum seekers there since Saudi Arabia and its allies entered the country’s civil war and began an air campaign against the Houthi rebels two years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

The boat assault also illustrated the vibrant trade in people-smuggling between the Horn of Africa and Yemen, a congregation point for tens of thousands of Africans fleeing their own countries.

Most of the passengers aboard the vessel were believed to be Somalis who had been staying in Yemen and were trying to reach Sudan.

United Nations officials have registered nearly 280,000 refugees and asylum seekers in Yemen, mostly from Somalia.

Filippo Grandi, the United Nations high commissioner for refugees, described the assault as an “unwarranted attack on helpless civilians fleeing violence and conflict” in a statement from the refugee agency’s Geneva headquarters.

“Many questions remain unanswered on the circumstances of this horrific event,” Mr. Grandi said. “We call on all parties to the conflict to make proper inquiries to ensure accountability and to prevent this from happening again.”

Officials in Yemen initially said forces of the Saudi-led coalition had been responsible for the attack, which occurred on Friday about 30 miles from the western Yemen port of Al Hudaydah.

Saudi officials denied responsibility, saying none of the coalition’s forces had been operating in the area. They also said Al Hudaydah should be placed under United Nations supervision, describing it as a conduit for weapons smuggling and people-smuggling.

On Saturday the government of Somalia, which is a member of the Saudi coalition, also called for an investigation.

Accounts from survivors and crew described an unprovoked predawn attack by a military helicopter, as passengers screamed “We are Somali!” and held flashlights aloft to show they posed no threat. By then, many were already dead.

The captain, who was fatally wounded, was able to pilot the boat to Al Hudaydah, where rescue workers stored the dead in fish coolers because hospitals had no room, the head of port security said.

Yemen, the poorest country in the Middle East, has been consumed by war since March 2015 when Saudi Arabia and its partners began bombarding the Houthis, who had seized parts of the country including the capital, Sana, from the government. The Saudis have accused Iran, their regional rival, of arming the Houthis, who are from the north of Yemen.

The war has created a humanitarian disaster that has displaced millions of Yemenis and put many at risk of famine.

Continue reading the main story

NYtimes


Notice an issue?

Arabian Post strives to deliver the most accurate and reliable information to its readers. If you believe you have identified an error or inconsistency in this article, please don't hesitate to contact our editorial team at editor[at]thearabianpost[dot]com. We are committed to promptly addressing any concerns and ensuring the highest level of journalistic integrity.


ADVERTISEMENT
Just in:
Absa Group to Establish Dubai Office Amid Strengthening Africa-Gulf Investment Ties // CPI General Secretary D Raja Underlines Principled Unity Of All Communists To Fight RSS-BJP // Shenglong Electric showcases two AI-powered products in OFC 2025 to redefine smart electricity use // US Tariffs Threaten India’s Gems and Jewellery Exports // Brazilian President Seeking Support From China And Russia To Meet Trump’s Threat // Damac’s Edgnex Data Centers Acquires Finland’s Hyperco to Expand Nordic Presence // CoinList Reopens U.S. Token Sales Amid Eased Regulatory Climate // Galaxy Macau Presents Luxurious Celebration of Renewal at Banyan Tree Macau with Michelin-starred Chef and Bartender from Asia’s 50 Best Bars // Market cycles: leveraging seasonal trends with Octa Broker // Enviro-Hub Signs LOI to Divest Waste Recycling and Property Units in Strategic Pivot // Events for remote multinational IT teams: trends, challenges and solutions // Galaxy Macau™ Presents: ANDREA BOCELLI Live in Concert – A Soul-Stirring Spectacle // Checkout.com and Tabby Collaborate to Enhance BNPL Services in UAE and Saudi Arabia // Google Addresses Pixel Weather Widget’s Outdated Forecasts // Carbon Clean’s CycloneCC Completes Landmark Industrial Deployment // HKPC Achieves Remarkable Accomplishments at Hannover Messe 2025 // Majority of CIOs Overspend on Cloud Budgets, Survey Reveals // OH!SOME Opens its First Store in Vietnam : A One-stop Destination for Global Selected Products // PolyU establishes Otto Poon Research Institute for Climate-Resilient Infrastructure with support from Otto Poon Charitable Foundation // Trump’s Tariffs Deal Severe Blow to Developing Nations //