Just in:
American Bitcoin to Navigate Public Offering Amid Growing Market Interest // Absa Group to Establish Dubai Office Amid Strengthening Africa-Gulf Investment Ties // Galaxy Macau Presents Luxurious Celebration of Renewal at Banyan Tree Macau with Michelin-starred Chef and Bartender from Asia’s 50 Best Bars // Decisive factors: Octa carried out a global survey about brokers’ red flags // The Henderson Art Garden Is Now Open to Public // ChatGPT Reaches 1 Million Users in an Hour Amid New AI Image Feature // Singapore Exchange Probes City Developments Amid Family Dispute // PolyU establishes Otto Poon Research Institute for Climate-Resilient Infrastructure with support from Otto Poon Charitable Foundation // Checkout.com and Tabby Collaborate to Enhance BNPL Services in UAE and Saudi Arabia // Galaxy Macau™ Presents: ANDREA BOCELLI Live in Concert – A Soul-Stirring Spectacle // US Tariffs Threaten India’s Gems and Jewellery Exports // Parkin Declares AED 280.9 Million Dividend Amid Upcoming Parking Tariff Adjustments // Majority of CIOs Overspend on Cloud Budgets, Survey Reveals // Ripple’s RLUSD Stablecoin Enhances Cross-Border Payments and Gains Kraken Listing // Eric Trump Ventures into Bitcoin Mining Following Bank Account Closures // Trump’s Sweeping Tariffs Set to Reshape Global Trade Dynamics // Proton Enhances Drive and Docs Services Amid Linux User Anticipation // e& PPF Telecom Group Completes €825 Million Acquisition of Serbia Broadband // Andertoons by Mark Anderson for Tue, 01 Apr 2025 // ICONSIAM’s ‘THAICONIC SONGKRAN CELEBRATION 2025’ to Captivate Visitors with Thailand’s Most Spectacular Water Festival //

Al Jazeera Journalists Sentenced to 3 Years in Prison in Egypt

CAIRO — An Egyptian judge on Saturday handed down unexpectedly harsh verdicts in the trial of three journalists from the Al Jazeera English news channel, sentencing them to three years in prison on charges that legal experts said were unfounded and politically motivated.

The verdict on Saturday was especially stunning because Egyptian officials had repeatedly signaled that they viewed the trial as a nuisance that had brought unwanted scrutiny of the government. The families of the journalists, Mohamed Fahmy, Baher Mohamed and Peter Greste, said they had expected that the men would either be exonerated on Saturday or sentenced to time already served.

But instead, the judge, Hassan Farid, upheld what human rights advocates said was among many baseless accusations leveled during the journalists’ long legal odyssey: that they had “broadcast false news” about Egypt on Al Jazeera.

ADVERTISEMENT

The judge also said that the men, who had all previously worked for other international news organizations, were not journalists because they lacked the necessary credentials.

Prosecutors had accused them of plotting with the Muslim Brotherhood to produce false news reports, but had offered no evidence of either collaboration with the Brotherhood or of any erroneous broadcasts.

The verdict appeared to reinforce a growing conviction among analysts and diplomats that President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who rules without a legislature, does not command full obedience from Egypt’s fractious bureaucracy, including its courts. Mr. Sisi has said in the past that he would have deported the journalists rather than try them.

At the same time, the verdict suggested enthusiasm in Egypt’s ruling circles for restricting free speech, even two years after the military takeover that brought Mr. Sisi to power.

“I’m completely shocked,” said Adel Fahmy, Mr. Fahmy’s brother, after the verdict was read. “Everything was pointing towards exoneration today. They keep on disappointing us with this unbelievable judicial system.”

Mr. Fahmy and Mr. Mohamed, who had been free on bail, were remanded into custody after the hearing on Saturday. Mr. Greste, an Australian citizen, was deported in February under a presidential decree that allows the expulsion of foreigners convicted of crimes.

Mr. Fahmy, who holds Canadian citizenship, could still be deported under the same decree, but Mr. Mohamed, an Egyptian citizen, would not be eligible. Their families and lawyers said they would appeal the sentence.

Amal Clooney, a lawyer for Mr. Fahmy, told journalists after the hearing that she would ask Mr. Sisi to pardon her client and his colleagues. “What just happened in that courtroom was an outrage,” Ms. Clooney said.

The three men were arrested in December 2013. Their arrests were among thousands carried out by the government after the military ouster in July 2013 of Mohamed Morsi, a Muslim Brotherhood leader and Egypt’s first fairly elected president.

The decision to prosecute the journalists was seen as part of a broader attempt by the military-backed government to stifle the news media and free expression. This summer, the Committee to Protect Journalists reported that at least 18 journalists were imprisoned in Egypt — the highest number since the group began keeping records in 1990.

Analysts have said that journalists were also primarily victims of the damaged relations between Egypt and the government of Qatar, which owns Al Jazeera and is a strong supporter of the Brotherhood.

The journalists were convicted after a first trial that human rights advocates said showcased Egypt’s frequently slapdash prosecutions and capricious court judgments. In that trial, Ms. Clooney noted, the journalists were found by the judge to have been “in a plot with Satan.”

In January, Egypt’s highest appeals court ordered a retrial.

Mr. Mohamed, who appeared most likely to serve his sentence, was given an additional six months by the judge on Saturday — apparently for possessing a spent bullet casing at the time of his arrest that he had picked up one day at a protest.  

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.

(via NY Times)


Notice an issue?

Arabian Post strives to deliver the most accurate and reliable information to its readers. If you believe you have identified an error or inconsistency in this article, please don't hesitate to contact our editorial team at editor[at]thearabianpost[dot]com. We are committed to promptly addressing any concerns and ensuring the highest level of journalistic integrity.


ADVERTISEMENT
Just in:
The Henderson Art Garden Is Now Open to Public // Andertoons by Mark Anderson for Tue, 01 Apr 2025 // CPI General Secretary D Raja Underlines Principled Unity Of All Communists To Fight RSS-BJP // Trump’s Sweeping Tariffs Set to Reshape Global Trade Dynamics // US Tariffs Threaten India’s Gems and Jewellery Exports // Checkout.com and Tabby Collaborate to Enhance BNPL Services in UAE and Saudi Arabia // Singapore Exchange Probes City Developments Amid Family Dispute // BlackRock Secures FCA Approval to Operate as Crypto Asset Firm in UK // Absa Group to Establish Dubai Office Amid Strengthening Africa-Gulf Investment Ties // Shenglong Electric showcases two AI-powered products in OFC 2025 to redefine smart electricity use // Galaxy Macau™ Presents: ANDREA BOCELLI Live in Concert – A Soul-Stirring Spectacle // Decisive factors: Octa carried out a global survey about brokers’ red flags // American Bitcoin to Navigate Public Offering Amid Growing Market Interest // Bayo Ojulari Appointed as NNPC’s New Group CEO // Google Addresses Pixel Weather Widget’s Outdated Forecasts // Tasks.org: The Open-Source Solution to Proprietary Reminder Apps // ICONSIAM’s ‘THAICONIC SONGKRAN CELEBRATION 2025’ to Captivate Visitors with Thailand’s Most Spectacular Water Festival // Parkin Declares AED 280.9 Million Dividend Amid Upcoming Parking Tariff Adjustments // Ripple’s RLUSD Stablecoin Enhances Cross-Border Payments and Gains Kraken Listing // Samsung Showcases Immersive 3D Experiences, OLED Excellence with New Odyssey Monitor Line-up in Singapore //