"If They Want To Blow It Up, They Can" – How Republicans Can Hobble Healthcare Without Repeal

Following President Trump’s clarifying tweet yesterday that “Obamacare will explode” on its own…

It is becoming increasingly clear that, even without the ‘repeal’, the Trump administration has already begun using its regulatory authority to water down less prominent aspects of Obamacare.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Republicans’ failure to repeal Obamacare, at least for now, means it remains federal law. But as Reuters reports, newly confirmed Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price’s power resides in how to interpret that law, and which programs to emphasize and fund. Earlier this week, Price stalled the rollout of mandatory Medicare payment reform programs for heart attack treatment, bypass surgery and joint replacements finalized by the Obama administration in December.

Hospitals and physician groups have been counting on support from Medicare – the federal insurance program for the elderly and disabled – to continue driving payment reform policies built into Obamacare that reward doctors and hospitals for providing high quality care at a lower cost. The Obama Administration had committed to shifting half of all Medicare payments to these alternative payment models by 2018. Although he has voiced general support for innovative payment programs, Price has been a loud critic of mandatory federal programs that dictate how doctors should deliver healthcare.

 

Without the backing of Medicare, the biggest payer in the U.S. healthcare system which Price now oversees, the nascent payment reform movement could lose momentum, sidelining a transformation many experts believe is vital to reining in runaway U.S. healthcare spending. Price “can’t change the legislation, but of course he’s supposed to implement it. He could impact it,” said John Rother, chief executive of the National Coalition on Health Care, a broad alliance of healthcare stakeholders that has been lobbying the new administration for support of value-based care.

 

The move Friday to pull the Republican bill only reinforces the risk to the existing law.

“It seems that the Trump Administration now faces a choice whether to actively undermine the ACA or reshape it administratively,” Larry Levitt, senior vice president at Kaiser Family Foundation, wrote on Twitter.

As a painful reminder, the United States spends $3 trillion a year on healthcare – more by far than 10 other wealthy countries – yet has the lowest life expectancy and the highest infant mortality rate, according to a 2013 Commonwealth Fund report.

Health costs have soared thanks in part to the traditional way doctors and hospitals get paid, namely by receiving a fee for each service they provide. So the more advanced imaging tests a doctor orders or pricey procedures they perform, the more money he or she makes, regardless of whether the patient’s health improves.

“We have a completely broken economy in healthcare,” said Blair Childs, senior vice president at hospital purchasing group Premier Inc. “Literally, all of the incentives in fee-for-service are for higher cost.”

As Reuters concludes, President Trump has already signed an executive order directing the HHS to begin unraveling Obamacare. In the early hours of his presidency, Trump directed government agencies to freeze regulations and take steps to weaken the healthcare law. The order directed departments to “waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation” of provisions that imposed fiscal burdens on states, companies or individuals. These moves were meant to minimize the costs and regulatory burdens imposed on states, private entities and individuals.

David Cutler, the Harvard health economist who helped the Obama Administration shape the ACA, said Price could do all sorts of things to undermine the law.

“If he wants to blow it up, he can,” Cutler said in an email. But if they do, he added, “they alone will own the failure.”

Source link


Notice an issue?

Arabian Post strives to deliver the most accurate and reliable information to its readers. If you believe you have identified an error or inconsistency in this article, please don't hesitate to contact our editorial team at editor[at]thearabianpost[dot]com. We are committed to promptly addressing any concerns and ensuring the highest level of journalistic integrity.


ADVERTISEMENT
Just in:
Kraken Bolsters Canadian Presence with Regulatory Approval and Leadership Appointment // Malta’s Financial Regulator Imposes €1.1 Million Fine on OKX for AML Violations // HKPC Achieves Remarkable Accomplishments at Hannover Messe 2025 // Bitcoin’s Computational Power and Valuation Reach Unprecedented Heights // Carbon Clean’s CycloneCC Completes Landmark Industrial Deployment // Market cycles: leveraging seasonal trends with Octa Broker // South Korea’s Constitutional Court Removes President Yoon Suk Yeol from Office // Trump’s 26% Tariff Escalates US-India Trade Tensions // Events for remote multinational IT teams: trends, challenges and solutions // UAE’s Non-Oil Sector Growth Eases Amid Softening Demand // MyRepublic Launches Industry-First Gamified Customer Experience with Pocket Rocket Adventures // Trump’s Tariffs Deal Severe Blow to Developing Nations // Shiba Inu’s Shibarium Surpasses 1 Billion Transactions Amid Price Fluctuations // Wintermute’s Trading Tactics Spark Concerns Amidst Altcoin Volatility // Middle Eastern Firms Assess Impact of New U.S. Tariffs // Tim Hortons brews more brand presence in Seoul with line of retail coffee products available now in grocery // Dubai Advances Autonomous Taxi Services with Global Tech Partnerships // CoinList Reopens U.S. Token Sales Amid Eased Regulatory Climate // EU Antitrust Decision on ADNOC’s Covestro Acquisition Expected by May 12 // Enviro-Hub Signs LOI to Divest Waste Recycling and Property Units in Strategic Pivot //