Syria rebels say will consider truce "void" if government violations continue

ADVERTISEMENT

BEIRUT Syrian rebel groups said on Saturday they would consider a ceasefire deal brokered by Russia and Turkey “null and void” if the Damascus government’s forces and their allies continued to violate it.

Russia, which supports Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, has urged the United Nations to give its blessing to the fragile ceasefire, the third truce this year seeking to end nearly six years of war in Syria.

Clashes and air strikes have persisted in some areas since the ceasefire began on Friday, though the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a monitoring group, said on Saturday the truce was still largely holding.

“Continued violations by the regime and bombardment and attempts to attack areas under the control of the revolutionary factions will make the agreement null and void,” a statement signed by a number of rebel groups said.

It said government forces and their allies had been trying to press advances, particularly in an area northwest of Damascus.

Russia and Turkey, which backs the armed opposition to Assad, brokered the ceasefire agreement in the hope of preparing the way for peace talks in Kazakhstan in the new year.

In their statement, the rebels said it appeared the government and the opposition had signed two different versions of the ceasefire deal, one of which was missing “a number of key and essential points that are non-negotiable”, but did not say what those were.

There has been confusion over which groups in the opposition are included in the ceasefire. Islamic State, which has made enemies of all sides in the conflict, is not included.

The Syrian army said on Thursday the militant group formerly known as the Nusra Front was not part of the truce. However, several rebel officials said the group, which has been renamed Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, was also included in the ceasefire deal.

(Reporting by John Davison; Editing by Gareth Jones)

-Reuters


Notice an issue?

Arabian Post strives to deliver the most accurate and reliable information to its readers. If you believe you have identified an error or inconsistency in this article, please don't hesitate to contact our editorial team at editor[at]thearabianpost[dot]com. We are committed to promptly addressing any concerns and ensuring the highest level of journalistic integrity.


ADVERTISEMENT
Just in:
Steam Client Update Enhances Linux Gaming Experience // Bitcoin’s Computational Power and Valuation Reach Unprecedented Heights // OH!SOME Opens its First Store in Vietnam : A One-stop Destination for Global Selected Products // Trump’s Tariffs Deal Severe Blow to Developing Nations // Wintermute’s Trading Tactics Spark Concerns Amidst Altcoin Volatility // Malta’s Financial Regulator Imposes €1.1 Million Fine on OKX for AML Violations // Tim Hortons brews more brand presence in Seoul with line of retail coffee products available now in grocery // HKPC Achieves Remarkable Accomplishments at Hannover Messe 2025 // Brazilian President Seeking Support From China And Russia To Meet Trump’s Threat // Proton VPN Enhances User Experience with Comprehensive App Redesigns // Events for remote multinational IT teams: trends, challenges and solutions // Enviro-Hub Signs LOI to Divest Waste Recycling and Property Units in Strategic Pivot // UAE’s Non-Oil Sector Growth Eases Amid Softening Demand // Global Tax Recoveries from Panama Papers Near $2 Billion // Stablecoin Market Capitalization Surges to Record $235.3 Billion // India Enforces Stricter Biosecurity as Avian Influenza Crosses Species // MyRepublic Launches Industry-First Gamified Customer Experience with Pocket Rocket Adventures // Gold-Backed Cryptocurrencies Decline Amid Market Turmoil Following Tariff Announcements // South Korea’s Constitutional Court Removes President Yoon Suk Yeol from Office // Middle Eastern Firms Assess Impact of New U.S. Tariffs //