Elsewhere on Wednesday,
– TFW you have become verb used to specify there should be no lying in this particular bond quoting:
Shortly after his indictment in 2013, Mr. Peters engaged in a chat session with a potential buyer about the price that would be offered for mortgage securities. The customer wrote, “Ok don’t litvak me! Go ahead with that bid.”
– Guardian longread on where oil rigs go to die.
– Bloomberg longread on Peter Navarro: Trump’s trade warrior is the most unpopular economist in the class.
– Wired longread on why India’s Silcon Valley — Bangalore — is dying of thirst. Featuring a water mafia and Mad Max references.
– Matt Levine on the Obama speaking fee:
Investment banking is a gift economy in which banks give clients an array of thoughtful but random gifts — free financial modeling, revolving loan facilities, introductions to potential board and executive hires, the chance to meet Barack Obama — in the hopes that one day the clients will give them the massive gift of a merger advisory mandate.
– Hampton Creek (which you’ll remember from last year’s undercover project to buy up its own vegan may0) is having fundraising difficulties.
– Etsy pivots from crunchy hipster to Gordon Gekko in one afternoon.
– Decrypting Hike Messenger.
– Bruegel on the global decline in the labour income share: Is capital the answer to Germany’s current account surplus?
– Roger Farmer: David and Goliath, the sunspot agenda meets the MIT machine.
– News you can use: How to tell when an anonymous “White House official” is actually Steve Bannon/Kushner/Ivanka/etc.
– “I translated *that* German article concerning the May-Juncker dinner everyone’s been talking about.”
– Looking back at the (limited) lessons from the first 100 days of Reagan, George HW Bush, Clinton, George W Bush and Obama.
– “Woody Allen was seen congratulating Icahn on his film debut at a dinner with Andrew Stein at Caravaggio late last week.”
– Further watching from the FT’s Westminster blog: Car crash interviews, election edition — the hall of infamy.
– Trump voter feels betrayed by president after reading 800pgs of queer feminist theory.
– Further, further reading.