Just in:
Employed but stuck: Malaysia’s resilient labour market masks a career mobility gap // Saudi Arabia brings global water leaders to Riyadh // US oil reserve sinks towards four-decade low // Annual Maintenance Contracts in Dubai: Why Property Owners Are Moving Beyond Reactive Maintenance // 2026 Taiwan Four-Season Springs Travel Campaign Officially Launches // Saudi Arabia raises US Treasury holdings to $142.5bn // India pushes coal gasification to reduce import risks // Asia Responsible Enterprise Awards and Asia Pacific Enterprise Awards 2026 China Chapter Celebrate Resilient Enterprises Forging Legacies of Excellence and Impact // Wiz AI agent exposes Snowflake workflow security gap // NASA ground software flaw exposes spacecraft commands // Building a Global EV Footprint: How VinFast and Local Partners Power Middle East Expansion // Telegram seeks .gram domain for user web identities // LG deepens Gulf streaming push with stc tv // tridorian launches Gemini Enterprise Experience Center in Singapore to help enterprises turn AI ambition into business outcomes // Controller shortage puts Sydney Airport safety under scrutiny // Beyond Applications: The Distinctive Approach to International Academic Guidance // IHH Healthcare and Prudential Partner to Offer Policyholders More Day Surgery Care Options at Mount Elizabeth Royal Square // Trump rejects Iran truce extension as Lebanon flares // Google expands AI training with app-building course // SafePal breach exposes customer details to phishing risk //

People missing from avalanche-hit hotel in Italy rise to 24

PENNE, Italy Twenty-four people are missing from the wreckage of a hotel in central Italy that was flattened by a deadly avalanche, with difficult research and rescue operations still ongoing, authorities said on Sunday.

A statement from the national fire service said the number of people missing rose by one after a rescued person said that a hotel employee, of Senegalese origin, was inside the building at the moment of the avalanche.

So far five people have been confirmed dead, and nine, including four children, were pulled alive from tons of rubble and snow on Saturday.

“Operations continue, both inside and outside the hotel, there is no change in the numbers (of saved and dead people),” spokesman Luca Cari said in the statement.

The luxury Hotel Rigopiano, located at the foot of a mountain chain in the central Italian region of Abruzzo, was obliterated on Wednesday after an avalanche caused by an earthquake smashed into its spa and demolished the four-storey building.

“The situation unfortunately is the same as the last few days, we keep working nonstop, under extremely difficult weather conditions… but we will carry on working as quickly as we possibly can,” said Major Marco Amoriello.

He added that weather conditions were not helping operations and that the forecast for the next few days did not look good.

“But we certainly won’t be stopping because of that,” Amoriello said.

Some rescue workers said they did not rule out finding more survivors, more than three days after the disaster.

Around 120,000 tonnes of frozen snow covered much of what was left of the hotel, a colonel from a fire brigade team working on-site told television Sky TG24.

Nine of the eleven survivors are still hospitalised in the nearby city of Pescara, with some of them leaving hospital as soon as Monday.

“Thank you for being close, and for the real help you are bringing,” said Pope Francis on Sunday at his weekly Angelus audience, referring to those involved in rescue and relief operations and asking to pray for them and the families of the victims.

Prosecutors in the central Italian city of Pescara have opened a probe over alleged unintentional multiple manslaughter and negligence causing a large-scale disaster.

(Reporting by Antonio Denti in Penne and Giulia Segreti in Milan; Editing by Clelia Oziel)

-Reuters



Notice an issue?

Arabian Post strives to deliver the most accurate and reliable information to its readers. If you believe you have identified an error or inconsistency in this article, please don't hesitate to contact our editorial team at editor[at]thearabianpost[dot]com. We are committed to promptly addressing any concerns and ensuring the highest level of journalistic integrity.


Loading next story…
Just in:
Annual Maintenance Contracts in Dubai: Why Property Owners Are Moving Beyond Reactive Maintenance // tridorian launches Gemini Enterprise Experience Center in Singapore to help enterprises turn AI ambition into business outcomes // Saudi Arabia brings global water leaders to Riyadh // Wiz AI agent exposes Snowflake workflow security gap // Palm coolant targets Malaysia’s data centre resource strain // Building a Global EV Footprint: How VinFast and Local Partners Power Middle East Expansion // Saudi Arabia raises US Treasury holdings to $142.5bn // NASA ground software flaw exposes spacecraft commands // Beyond Applications: The Distinctive Approach to International Academic Guidance // LG deepens Gulf streaming push with stc tv // Employed but stuck: Malaysia’s resilient labour market masks a career mobility gap // JSCCIB Joins Forces with Public Sector and World Bank to Launch “The Bangkok Business Summit 2026: Reinvent Thailand, Resilient ASEAN” // IHH Healthcare and Prudential Partner to Offer Policyholders More Day Surgery Care Options at Mount Elizabeth Royal Square // Telegram seeks .gram domain for user web identities // Tech Data Expands IBM Distribution to Accelerate Partner-Led Growth Across Asia Pacific // allnex Announces the Next SCA Capacity Investment In APAC // US oil reserve sinks towards four-decade low // Trump rejects Iran truce extension as Lebanon flares // UAE freezes trade and financial dealings with Iran // Asia Responsible Enterprise Awards and Asia Pacific Enterprise Awards 2026 China Chapter Celebrate Resilient Enterprises Forging Legacies of Excellence and Impact //